Home Generators: Generators are one of the man-made machines that help us continue to use our electrical devices and equipment in the advent of power outage or disruption of supply of electricity. Generators are usually designed and engineered to provide electricity for recreational, commercial as well as residential purposes. Home generators are commonly referred to as backup generators or whole house generators since they serve as a substitute for power provision for the whole house. These generators that are used as home generators are usually either portable or stationary aka standby generators. These generators vary greatly from open another depending on a couple of factors (specifications) such as the safety features; control panel; tech used & runtime; power output (required wattage); fuel used; environmental friendliness etc.
Solar generators are the most environmental friendly generators that use renewal energy and emit no gases to the atmosphere. Nonetheless solar generators don’t generate as much power as those run with fossil fuels. Hence regardless of their efficiency, they are used to power selective of low power demanding electronic devices and are not fully appropriate as a whole house generators. Standby generators on the other hand act typically as the home backup generators and unlike portable generators have the capacity to power the entire home for days whereas although also being backup generators, portable generators don’t regularly power heavy or high wattage devices or equipment (and not for long if they do) and have runtimes of hours.
These generators are equally determined by the fuel they use to run. These generators are powered by either natural gas, propane, diesel, petrol (gasoline), or sometimes both (dual fuel system).
Standby generators are generators that are fixed to one spot and connected directly to the electrical grid of the home and automatically switch on and off when it detects that the main power supply has been cut off.
Portable generators on the other hand are generators designed for transportation from one place to another. They are mobile and vary in dimension, size and out power. They are of various designs and have varying power outputs. They also serve as backup generators for homes but have to be manually switched on and off during use.
Characteristics of Home Generators
Due to the multitude of manufacturers, models and designs for house generators, the characteristics for home backup generators are multiple and a few are discussed below.
- Home generators could be fixed on one spot while there are other models that are mobile to ease transportation and displacement of the generators;
- House generators can be manual or automated that is they can be manually switched on/off or can be automatically start as soon as there is power failure;
- The best house generators run self-diagnosis of its systems;
- They usually require a transfer switch that protects household appliances from damage. These transfer switches can be automatic and some are designed to without all weather conditions;
- Whole house generators i.e. standby generators liberates a greater power output than portable backup generators
- The engine speed and power wattage depend on the specific generator purchased. They is a very wide range of generators with diverse specifications;
- Some have noise suppression systems (standby home generators) and hence emits less noise levels;
- Depending on the generator acquired, home generators could run from a couple of hours to many days and even weeks if for instance it is a gas generator and is connected directly to the unsevered main gas supply system of the home;
- Depending on the type and model of the house generators refuelling might not be required whereas for some it is unavoidable.
The Pros and Cons of Home Generators
- Can power the entire house with all household appliances inclusive
- Some generators require experts for installation and maintenance
- Repairs is more difficult due to the higher electronics used
- Have removable doors/caps for easy maintenance, services and fuelling
- They tend to consume a lot of fuel
- Its dimensions and cost prices gives it a wide possibility of purchase by the majority of persons
- Run self-diagnoses and can be remotely monitored
- They have a large selection of Automatic Transfer Switches (ATS) with low response times
Why a standby generator is the best home generator?
Standby generators are the best house generations and produce enough energy to supply a home with electricity for days to weeks. The energy could equally power the devices, equipment and appliances that can be found in a home. With the low automatic transfer switch response time, households may scarcely notice the switch from main to generator electricity supply.
Features to consider when choosing a home generator
Getting the best house generators is not easy given the many kinds and models the exist and are created day in day out. The features below should help in the purchase of a generator that will suit the owner and respective financial budgets.
- Safety features
- Control panel
- Technology used
- Power output
- Type of fuel
- Cost price
Safety Tips in Operating a Home Generator
- Do not run a generator in enclosed spaces
- Do not run a generator in the rain
- Do not refuel your home generator while it’s running
- Ensure wherever the generator(s) is place should be well ventilated and a cooling system put in place where necessary
- Tags: home generators, best house generators, whole-house generators, home generator reviews, reviews of home generators, best home generators, portable generators, standby generators
- Best Backup Generators Review Backup Generators, what are they?
Backup generators are electrical generators designed to serve as a replacement for the main power source supplying a home, institution or building. These generators are backups for the main power supply source of the home, if for some reason or another there is a power cut or the main electricity source of the home encounters a problem. These backup generators could be portable or fixed. Many manufacturers design and produce backup generators that are fixed or portable to serve in situ or off location depending on the purpose for which it was purchased.
One of these manufacturers is the Generac that assembles various models based on different features such as, design, anticipated use, fuel system, technology utilised, reliability, […]
- Champion Generators Review Champion Generators: What are Champion Generators?
Champion generators are simply one of the many electronic devices used in the generation of electricity manufactured by Champion Power Equipment (CPE). CPE manufactures a variety of generators designed for work, home and play. These generators vary depending on the model that is characterised by power generated (wattage), purpose, fuel system, integrated technology, portability, reliability etc.
Types and Uses
Champion generators could be portable or stationary; fuelled by gas or propane or both (dual fuel); embedded with inverter tech or not etc.; e.g. is the Champion 3500W/4000W Generator Model #46593 / #46596 with 196cc single cylinder each. This implies the generator’s engine produces 3500 watts (rated watts) of running […]
- Home Generator Reviews Home Generators: Home generators are suitable for every home and have the ability to generate power. They are very useful in cases of blackouts especially when a blackout exceeds 48 hours. There are a variety of home generators of different shapes’ sizes and capacities. Although the home generators are of different styles each one of them is beneficial. Depending on your choice, a home generator can provide power to run some or all of your appliances.
In choosing a generator check on its capacity, design, portability, features, price, run time, user friendly, affordability and reliability. Also determine how quiet the generator meets your needs. A completely quiet generator does not exist; you can purchase one with acceptable noise levels. Your choice will also be determined by […]
- Best House Generator Reviews Best House Generators: The best way you can spend your money is to invest on a good home generator that will keep everything in your household running smoothly. Electricity blackout can happen anytime and you don't need to just sit around hoping a miracle to happen when there is a power shortage. Home generators are available in different styles and shapes, each make has it's own unique feature that makes it stand out. Good house generators are like gifts from santa when there are no lights. It keeps your home and sure and make sure that all the appliances in your house are working smoothly.
What are House generators?
House generators are backup generators that are stationed some few centimeters away from your home, doors and windows unlike the Whole house generator which […]
- 4000 Watts Generators Review What are 4000 Watts Generators?
Electrical generators are machines designed and engineered to generate electricity via the conversion of mechanical energy to electrical energy through a series of processes such as internal combustion, electromagnetic induction, etc. depending on the output wattage, generators are built to produce predefined output wattage of energy. Wattage is the product of voltage and current hence the SI unit for the measurement of power. A watt is an equivalent of the generation of a joules of energy in a second.
Generators are usually manufactured to a specific running wattage that is the power that the generator can release at full capacity. Generators always come with two wattage readings e.g. 35000/4000 watts implying that the generator has a […]
- Quiet Generators Review What are Quiet Generators?
Generators are machines that have been engineered to generate electrical energy from mechanic energy. This requires the use of combustible (fuel), engines, motors, etc. and these components of a generator tend to liberate decibels hence creating noise. Most generators liberate decibels ranging between 45 and 80 (dB). One of the key challenges generator manufacturers have is to innovate competitive generators that emit less noise.
Which is Quieter, Standard or Inverter Portable Generators?
It is an overstatement to consider a generator as silent. Unless one resorts to solar powered generators, there are no silent generators. Generators run on engines that produce noise at varying dB levels. Generally, inverter generators are amongst the most […]